John K, of Ren and Stimpy and Spumco fame, is currently doing a very interesting series on his colours theories on his blog. Although he’s talking about colour in cartoons, the information could easily be applied to most artistic mediums.
UPDATE: He’s also now posting some great stuff from early Hanna Barbera colour stylist and background painter, Art Lozzi.
Colour Theories for Cartoons
- Garish versus Warm
- Pee and Poo colors versus Colorful Greys
- Look at the sky before you paint a sunset
- What’s wrong with these pictures?
- Good color without a lot of money – Art Lozzi at Hanna Barbera
- Does cost equal quality?
- Will It Ever End?
- Eye relief
- Steal from anime if you can’t think of anything yourself
- Neutral or natural colours
- Art Lozzi: Early days at Hanna Barbera
- Colour and Background painting reference: Old Golden Books
- Art Lozzi: Bob Gentle and Skeeter Trouble
- Art Lozzi: Scooter Looter, Paint Technique, BG Painting
- Art Lozzi explains some technique
- Color isolated from detailed technique: Yogi Bear ‘High Fly Guy’
- Art Lozzi: Hanna Barbera starts to standardise